An integral part of the majesty and beauty of the palace is the park, consisting of fountains and waterfalls. The park covers about 120 hectares is a typical example of Italian garden, built with extensive lawns, square flower and, mostly, a triumph of fountains.
History, art and culture
The park covers about 120 hectares and is one of the most magnificent architectural and monumental sites in Europe.
It was designed by Vanvitelli and completed by his son Carlo that aligned along the axis that went from Palace a number of fountains decorated with mythological sculptures, arranged along terraces sloping towards the plain. The prospect sees its culmination in the "big waterfall" that falls along a drop of 70 meters in the pool of Diana and Actaeon.
Along the central axis, successive tanks, fountains and waterfalls, decorated with large sculptural groups on mythological character. The result is a spectacular effect of great impact that reaches its climax in the Great Waterfall. The park extends to the top of the hill in front of the palace, where an English garden is the setting for a stroll among exotic plants.
If you leave the palace gardens they have divided into two parts: the first is composed of vast parterre, separated by a central avenue leading up to Margherita Fontana, lined with groves of oaks and hornbeams, symmetrically arranged to form a scene "theatrical" green semicircular.
The water required to park and the fountains comes from 'Aqueduct of Vanvitelli
The English Garden
Inside the park was built by John Andrew said Graefer a garden "landscape" or "English", wanted by Queen Maria Carolina of Habsburg-Lorraine, wife of Ferdinand IV. Graefer, known in the international botanical for introducing many exotic plants in England.
initiated in 1786, Work to prepare the garden lasted many years: It was introduced plants and seeds identified in Capri, Maiori, Vietri, Salerno, Cava de'Tirreni, Agnano, Solfatara, Gaeta.
Featuring an apparent disorder, The English garden is placed to emulate in every way nature: waterways, ponds, "Ruins" according to the new fashion linked to the discovery of Pompeii, native and exotic plants populate this area. The fountains are fed by the Carolino, opened in 1762, largely built in tunnels crossing 6 reliefs and 3 viaducts.
In 1798, following the arrival of the French, John Andrew Graefer left the Royal Palace of Caserta; it is thanks to his three children, who took in the thick garden of Naples French Directory, that the latter has been saved from ruin and neglect, coming intact for posterity.